Vibrant modern and diverse, Harrisonburg, VA boasts a charming atmosphere infused with a serious passion for local food and libations and cutting-edge arts and culture. Not only are there state of the art conference facilities and over 2,000 hotel rooms Harrisonburg offers a relaxed, friendly atmosphere with urban amenities and small-town charm.
Here are 10 reasons to choose Harrisonburg right now although it would be easy to list more than 10!
1. The Shenandoah Valley Conference Center (completed 2018)– with 230 hotel rooms, an 8,391 sq. ft ballroom, 21,000 sq. ft of meeting space all within walking distance of charming Downtown Harrisonburg an award-winning Main Street community
2. Virginia’s First Culinary District – Harrisonburg boasts over 250 restaurants ranging from popular chains to award-winning locally owned restaurants. Downtown Harrisonburg was designated Virginia’s First Culinary District in 2014 and offers considerable al fresco dining from patios to roof tops and numerous farm-to-table options.
3. Six craft breweries within walking distance, most offer outdoor seating options. They include one hard cidery: Sage Bird Cider and five craft breweries.
4. Five wineries; Bluestone Vineyard, Brix & Columns Vineyard, CrossKeys Vineyard, Marceline Vineyards and The Purple WOLF Vineyard at White Oak Lavender Farm. Most offer outdoor seating with gorgeous views and entertainment on the weekend.
5. Location – Harrisonburg is nestled in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley between the George Washington Forest to the west and Shenandoah National Park to the east providing incredible sight-seeing, hiking, rock climbing, caving and skiing. It is located about 30 minutes from Massanutten Resort and Waterpark.
6. Art and Artisans – Harrisonburg is one of Virginia’s original Arts & Cultural Districts and home to many shops offering high quality locally made items from handmade canvas bags, designer jewelry and hand crafted pottery to fine art. Enjoy an art walk through the downtown highlighting local murals and statues.
7. Traipse Scavenger Hunts offering free outdoor challenges for team building activities, as a networking activity or just social distancing fun. The user-friendly Traipse app will guide you from location to location and offer interesting information for each stop and an opportunity to solve a puzzle (with hints when you need them). Download the free app to start your adventure.
8. The Virginia Quilt Museum – one of only a few quilt museums in the world. The museum offers traditional and contemporary exhibits and frequently changes exhibits.
9. Convenience – Harrisonburg is located just off I81 and a beautiful two hour drive from the D.C. metro area over the Shenandoah National Park with gorgeous views and numerous hiking opportunities. It is equidistant from the Richmond metro area and only 20 minutes from the Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport with regular service to Dulles and O’Hare.
10. Harrisonburg’s PATH – Businesses are concerned for your welfare and many have taken Harrisonburg’s Pledge Affirming Trusted Hospitality.