A client asked me a fascinating question, “Jeff, know you don’t have a crystal ball, but if you did, what’s the future look like, in this crazy, forever changing pandemic world?”
Whoa, thanks for the challenge!
Lately, I’ve been thinking a lot—about the “state” of where we’re at. And my perceptions, thoughts and conclusions about our current COVID-19 environment or eventual post-pandemic world, have been influenced by my work with clients.
Yes, we all know, we’re living through uncertainty and unprecedented times. Is this the “New Normal,” the “New Abnormal” or what I now think to be more accurate, The “Next Normal?”
While there’s lots we don’t know about today or tomorrow, here’s what my conversations with other business owners, CEOs, Presidents, leaders and salespeople have led me to conclude:
1. Prospects, customers and members want you to create clarity and assurance as you reduce their tension and concerns.
2. While folks are “budget aware” or “price conscious,” they don’t want to forsake quality. Value beats price.
3. People are still making decisions, yet they want you to also relate and connect to them throughout the process. They especially value direct and honest dialogue that is focused on how you can best work together with them. However…
4. They don’t want you to merely acquiesce or appease them. They will respect your willingness and ability to confidently challenge them, with intelligent questions that’ll help them re-think, re-consider and re-examine how they do what they do. Convey your strength and belief in your unique differentiators—based upon what your happy customers/clients/members value most.
5. Help others “solve” their present and future. And do it with confidence, boldness and bravery. Even though you know that the future is unknown. Positivity is a powerful force.
6. Control and influence what you can control and influence. The other “stuff”—fuhgeddabout it!
7. You’ve probably heard a lot about the need to pivot. Pivot, as a verb, means to move or swing back and forth at a regular speed or to vary in magnitude or position around a central point. It can also mean to oscillate or fluctuate between beliefs, opinions and conditions. Seems like the real key is—how and when, if you so choose, will you pivot and change course? Perhaps it’s not so much that you pivot as catapult. Catapulting can help propel or launch you into new profitable pursuits, possibilities and opportunities.
8. Realize that lots of folks (i.e. prospects, customers, clients or members) are scared, plain and simple, about their professional and personal futures. Therefore, to help them focus on their future, focus on the person, their wants, needs and goals. Help them convert their fear to faith.
9. Patience, empathy and creativity are required for success. What are you willing to do that you haven’t done? When will you start? Figuring this out means you must keep learning and then execute!
10. Be disciplined and focused. Prioritize what you choose to monetize. And know when to say, “No.” Prospects, customers and members require different commitments of time and energy. Decide where you devote your minutes.
11. Honor your commitments. If you say you’ll do it, then do it! Hold yourself accountable.
12. Always understand, the Three Cs of others’ experience:
- the Challenge(s) they’re facing
- the Cause(s) of those challenges and
- the Consequence(s) of those challenges. Then…
13. Provide your products, services or solutions. That’ll help them eliminate the challenge, solve the problem, fill a need or realize a goal.
14. Help others realize the impact and risk of doing nothing.
15. When all is said and done, especially now, more must NOT be said than done.
Action rules! Execution rocks!
This stuff works, when YOU do. Here’s to your results!
About Jeff Blackman
Jeff Blackman is a Hall of Fame speaker, author, success coach, broadcaster and lawyer. His clients call him a “business-growth specialist.” If you hire speakers, for in-person or virtual programs, please contact Jeff at: 847.998.0688 or firstname.lastname@example.org. And visit jeffblackman.com to learn more about his other business-growth tools and to subscribe to Jeff’s FREE e-letter, The Results Report. Jeff’s books include Amazon bestsellers Stop Whining! Start Selling! and the new, upgraded 5th edition of Peak Your Profits. You can also stay connected with Jeff via LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.