Planning an event at a ski resort? Keep these tips in mind:
• Allow time for ski rentals. Not everyone owns equipment, and fittings can gobble up slope time. This is particularly important if meetings are on a winter weekend.
• If guests want to bring their own equipment, ask the resort if guests can ship their skis in advance. Grouse Mountain Lodge in Whitefish, Mont., is happy to oblige, and staff will help guests ship the equipment home.
• Consider time for lessons, and include them in a choice of activities.
• Allow plenty of time to drive to mountain ski resorts, because there is likely to be more snow at higher elevations.
• For meetings in high-altitude locations, educate guests about the importance of drinking fluids and limiting consumption of alcohol. Provide them with the warning signs of altitude sickness.