SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – Ever feel lonely in hotel rooms? At the University Plaza Hotel and Convention Center, guests can request Chip, Flipper, Sparkle or Blondie as complimentary goldfish companions.
Based on availability, the live goldfish in their decorative bowls are placed in guest rooms. Hotel staff care for and feed the fish so that visitors can have a stress-free experience.
“Our complimentary goldfish service has proven to be extremely popular, especially for people missing their pets,” said Robert Henley, general manager. “Guests comment that they find the goldfish calming, even entertaining.”
The goldfish amenity is a part of several new programs at the Springfield hotel.
New amenities include:
• Adding locally grown food items to restaurant and banquet menus
• Serving locally produced beers in the bar
• Placing locally made chocolates on guest pillows
• Offering interactive breaks for convention attendees, such as cupcake and barbecue sauce-making sessions
• Sponsoring the Springfield Regional Arts Council’s Corporate Art Program by displaying local art in the hotel’s atrium and participating in the city’s First Friday Art Walk
• Offering samples of local foods, live music and Happy Hour specials each Wednesday
To learn more, visit the hotel’s website at www.upspringfield.com.