Where is Statesboro, Ga.?
Statesboro is in eastern Georgia, 60 miles northwest of Savannah, 125 miles east of Macon and 210 miles southeast of Atlanta. The area population is just over 70,000.
How do we get there?
The nearest airport is Savannah/Hilton Head International, 45 miles away. Interstate 16 is 11 miles south. Public transportation includes Georgia Southern University’s transit service.
• Eagle Creek Brewing Co. will open later this year in a renovated building on historic Savannah Avenue. The brewery is distribution only, but educational tours and tastings with live entertainment can be arranged.
• GSU has broken ground for the $10 million Football Operations Center and will also add another 6,200 seats to its football stadium.
GSU is building a 24,000-square-foot shooting sports education center that will be among the nation’s largest.
• The 90-room Hampton Inn Statesboro opened in April.
• Van Gogh’s Brewery recently opened. Its Italian-born chef spent 30 years perfecting his pizzas.
Tell me about some places to meet.
• A theater, an art gallery, a classroom and a studio are among the venues at the Averitt Center for the Arts downtown.
• The 17-room Statesboro Inn, one mile from the GSU gates, has expanded its meeting space.
• With a gazebo next to a lake and a modern ballroom, Snella’s Place is the site for many events.
• Hotels with meeting spaces include the 90-room Quality Inn and Suites Statesboro; the 92-room Holiday Inn Statesboro-University area, with 2,300 square feet of meeting space; and the 113-room SpringHill Suites Statesboro University area, with 4,200 square feet of meeting space.
• GSU offers meeting and event venues, including the GSU Museum, the Nesmith Lane Center and Russell Union.