Arthur Backal, CEO and founder of Backal Management Group
With summer saround the corner, you might want to incorporate some food and beverage trends into your next event or meeting. Here are the top seven food and beverage trends I am seeing at Apella, an event space at the Alexandria Center in New York.
Top Seven Food and Beverage Trends
1.) Healthy Power Break Options – “Stay Fit” thematic breaks with smart and healthy F&B choices, such as trail mix, fruit and green tea versus cookies and coffee.
2.) Healthy Menu Options – Healthy options in every menu choice (salads, vegetarian, sandwiches on whole wheat/multi-grain bread, Greek yogurt, whole and sliced fruit, etc.). Fruit and vegetable sides or a vegetarian entree give attendees the “smart” dietary choice.
3. Mixology Trends – Infused cocktails with natural elements on the cocktail menu, such as beet-infused vodka, mustard-infused white rum.
4. Organic Wine and Beer – Organic now goes beyond food to the cocktail hour with micro-distilled liquor and organic wine (We serve Peaks Organic Ale and over 30 organic bottles of wine at Apella).
5. Wine Pairing or Mixology Programs for Team Building – Programs with organic wine hit more than one trend.
6. Eco-Friendly Meetings – Meals are more eco-friendly with filtered water in re-useable glass bottles, etc.
7. Superfoods – “Superfoods” are incorporated into meeting menus, including those with high levels of antioxidants such as broccoli, blueberries and spinach.
Arthur Backal is CEO and founder of Backal Management Group, LLC, as well as consulting director of catering at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in New York. Backal has worked with some of New York’s most renowned hoteliers, including the Helmsley Palace, The Plaza and St. Regis, where he oversaw the entire food and beverage operation. Backal was also credited with restoring the Pierre to its legendary grandeur during his time there as director of catering. He was inducted into the BizBash Hall of Fame in 2010 in honor of his contributions in the event industry and philanthropy. Backal Management Group facilitates the planning and execution of all events at Apella, an event space at the Alexandria Center in New York.