Willy Rays BBQ, Courtesy Beaumont CVB
There’s more to know about Beaumont, Texas, than we could fit into the feature in our December 2010 issue. Here are a few more interesting facts and some helpful information for meeting planners.
Did you know?
• Beaumont is the Museum Capital of Texas, with 19 museums.
• The world’s largest working fire hydrant stands in front of the Fire Museum of Texas. It is a remnant of Disney’s video release of “101 Dalmatians.” Beaumont was chosen as the “spot” for the promotion, and those spots on the hydrant are copyrighted.
• Scientists go to Beaumont to study the unusual combinations of ordinary things at Big Thicket National Preserve, one of the world’s most biologically diverse ecosystems.
•The Beaumont CVB was recently awarded a WebAward and recognized for the redesign of its website
Tell me about some sites worth seeing.
• Among the city’s 19 museums are two tied to its oil business history: the Texas Energy Museum and its interactive exhibits, and the Spindletop-Gladys City Boomtown Museum, a recreation of the boomtown that sprang up when the Spindletop Lucas oil well gushed in 1901.
• Dixie Dance Hall, home to the largest dance floor in southeast Texas, is among 10 venues in the Crockett Street Entertainment District.
• Listen to stories of prominent families of early Beaumont during tours at the McFaddin-Ward House, the Chambers House and the John J. French House.
For another tempting taste of Beaumont…
In addition to the tasty barbecue at the well-known Willie Ray’s BBQ, try Larry’s French Market for Cajun crawfish, shrimp, oysters and fish On weekends, live zydeco and dancing are part of the fun.
Here’s something special the CVB dreamed up for a client.
To get a group fired up about its upcoming convention in Beaumont, CVB staff filmed a “Can’t Wait to See You in Beaumont” commercial. CVB staff performed three dance routines choreographed by a staff member who is also a ballroom dance instructor. The “commercial” was shared on YouTube.
800-392-4401 or 409-880-3749